Friday, September 15, 2006

It's the final countdown

"Leaves are falling all around,
It's time I was on my way.
Thanks to you, I'm much obliged
For such a pleasant stay."

One week from right now I'll have just landed in Africa. I leave for staging in Philly on Monday, and board a plane for Tanzania Wednesday evening. 19 hours later I'll land in Dar es Salaam and the adventure begins. The next 4 days are going to be extraordinarily hectic. There are so many people I need to say goodbye to, and I still have to do the whole packing thing. We're only allowed to bring 80 pounds with us, so some last minute duffel bag olympics will undoubtedly be occurring Sunday night.

Shopping this last week proved especially entertaining. Tanzania has a very formal dress code for teachers, so I had to buy a bunch of light but durable shirts and khakis. Explaining that I was leaving for the Peace Corps in Africa in a week produced a number of amusing reactions from salespeople. Most seemed to think what I was doing was cool, but I did get a surprising number of "oh man... I'm sorry" responses followed by a classic you're-going-to-die stare. Gear shopping at the L.L. Bean factory store was the highlight though. I have an undying love for all things L.L. Bean, and having an excuse to spend hours geeking out over the various survival gadgets they have there was incredible. I ended up leaving with a bunch of great loot. Reason held me back from buying the "largest and most dangerous knife Bean's sells" (salesman's words), but I did pick up a smaller more versatile blade. Oh, and apparently it's bulletproof. Seriously. Bulletproof! If apocalypse ever seems on the horizon, move to Maine. Thanks to the L.L. Bean factory store, Mainers will all survive.


Speaking of gadgets, I'm also bringing a solar powered iPod charger I found online. This thing is ridiculously cool. www.solio.com. I finally got a chance to test it out this week and it works like a charm. It made me feel dirty, like I was channeling some sort of black magic.


So aside from packing up all my gear and clothes, I plan on spending the next few days saying goodbye to as many people as possible. I said g'bye to my sister Libby last weekend. She's a junior at Brown, and it's strange to think that the next time I'll see her she'll have graduated college. She's a truly remarkable girl, and I'll miss her dearly. I also saw my grandmother for probably the last time ever last week. She's quite sick right now, so it's highly unlikely that she'll still be around in 2 years. Who knows though, she could surprise us all. My father jokes that she'll outlive him. The woman is almost 90 and has survived 2 bouts of cancer and three heart attacks. Unstoppable. I'm also sad about saying farewell to Toonces, our family's cat. He's getting on in years, (15), and is starting to slow down. I'll miss the little guy to death.

So I have no doubt that this week is going to fly by. I'm trying to get in touch with as many friends as possible over the next couple days, but if you're reading this and I haven't given you a call yet shoot me a line. While I hope to fit in a short visit to the States during my service, the possibility of this is by no means definite. This very well could be my last week in the U.S. for 27 months. Surreal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, what?! You're going to Africa? *eyes get wide* Are there stingrays where you are going?

These 27 months are going to rock - see you on Monday!

oh hey, do you get into Philly early? I'm taking a 7am flight and will be around for a few hours before we have to sign in. If you're around, we could grab people and go get some food. You in?

Anonymous said...

Someone pretty much awesome took those pics (save the africa and gadget one). I'll have to start copywriting :)
Have fun and miss you tons already!
-libby

Anonymous said...

Actually, I get into Philly at 10:12am, so it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe I'll just hang out in the lobby of the hotel around 11am and wait til you and others get into town. I could easily not be the first one at the hotel. See you soon.

Unknown said...

NO KEVLAR? Big mistake.

Vigilante Super Teacher said...

Sorry to be a stalker and read way old posts, but I'm going to leave for Peace Corps Tanzania on June 15th and I saw this solar powered IPOD charger. I'm intrigued. After nearly a year in the country, is it still worth it? I am, evidently, of the no-electricity variety of PC worker ;)